Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Slow Cooker recipe and an arm


I was looking for a nice, warm, comforting meal that all three of us would like. Drama Queen would love enchiladas every day I think. She won't eat pork unless it is ham or bacon, or pulled pork sandwiches, doesn't like meatloaf or fish. She is hard to feed. She does like chicken and spuds, so I threw it all in the Crock Pot and let her rip.


Creamy Crock Chicken

4 chicken breasts-I had boneless, skinless on hand
8 yellow skinned potatoes
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1/4 can of water
poultry seasoning
paprika
salt and pepper

Rinse off chicken and pat dry. Sprinkle each breast with poultry seasoning and paprika, salt and pepper. Cube up spuds and slice onion and scatter on bottom of slow cooker. Mix the can of soup with the water (to thin out a little) and pour over spuds, retaining about 1/3 cup. Place chicken on top of spuds, spoon reserved soup mix on top of each breast. Cook on HIGH 3-4 hours or on LOW 6-7.

It creates a gravy that infuses the potatoes and keeps the chicken from drying out too much, which can happen if you leave it in too long,

Drama Queen was quite happy with it and we had no leftovers.

For the arm part, I had posted about having an MRI last week. I saw the doctor yesterday and I have an inflamed tendon with several small tears under the inflammation. He thought we can fix it with Cortisone and a cast.



Isn't it delightful? I have to have it on for 4 weeks. I can't cook, I can't clean, I can hardly put on undergarments (bras one handed?) and I can barely sleep since I sleep on my left side and I can't find a comfy position. Dude had to cut my food last night. It hurts to type with one hand because of the cramped position and he is concerned with a spot in my right wrist that has a cyst-like bump and is inflamed, which he attributes to over-compensating with that hand. I need to call the plant and see if they can put me in a different place for a month or if they really want me to sit on the packing floor for 12 hours a night and just sit. To say I am depressed is an understatement. I'm trying to look on the bright side that after nearly a year of pain, this may just fix it. Tell that to my poor hubby who had to listen to me cry at 3 this morning because I was exhausted but couldn't sleep because the cast is heavy and I couldn't find the right spot to sleep in. Unfortunately we don't have a recliner so I couldn't even sleep sitting in that.

Might have to take a trip to the furniture store...

11 comments:

Bob said...

Damn kid, that sucks. At least you're getting it taken care of, now it's pain with an end in sight instead of mystery pain. Good luck!

The chicken looks great, too. ;)

tamilyn said...

Thanks Bob!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

don't even start thinking about the itch that is coming in a couple weeks...

Sorry about that... i had one once for 6 weeks and it SUCKS!!!

But at least someone else will be doing the cleaning

vanillasugarblog said...

awww poor baby! can you dial the telephone, for chinese take-away? easy right? lol
4 weeks will be over soon.

tamilyn said...

LOL Dawn, take out isn't an option where we live :(

My Dude is going to have cook-which could be interesting :)

Hungry Dog said...

tamilyn, I'm so sorry about your cast! Four weeks is a long time but maybe your arm will be repaired after that...fingers crossed. Poor thing. That certainly looks miserable. On the bright side: chicken looks delish, and comforting as heck.

Debbie said...

Hope this cast does the trick. It certainly does look heavy and uncomfortable....let's hope the next few weeks fly by!

Monica H said...

Oh hon, I'm sorry. I was just going to send you an email asking how your arm was but now I see. At least it's purple right?

Maybe once you get more accustomed to having your arm in that, the easier things will get. I'm hoping anyway.

((hugs))

BTW, I think my hubs would love this recipe. If he could have chicken with cream soup twice a week he would.

Patty said...

That sucks about your arm, hope it heals soon!
P.S. This recipe looks so good, thanks for posting!

Leslie said...

Oh you poor poor thing! Hey at least it is purple!
If your lived close I would cook for you...but the cleaning...not so much!!! lol

Janet said...

I just cannot imagine the discomfort you are feeling. I always hate to say I'm sorry because it sounds so lame, but really, I am VERY sorry you're having to go through this! The Plant??!!! Are you kidding me? Your doctor needs to WRITE YOU OUT ON DISABILITY! You need to take care of yourself, stay home, sleep whenever you can and have your salary paid (3/4, tax free) under your state disability. You've earned the rest. You NEED the rest!

Wish there were something I could do for you. Know that you are being thought of and wished a full and SPEEDY recovery!