Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sticks and Stones

Another day in the Pantry Challenge. Friday night at work we ordered out dinner as I had a PT appointment before work so sleep was more important than cooking. When we got home in the morning, I went down to the freezer and randomly picked something out of the bin and got a pound of hamburger. I saw a bag of hash browns so I grabbed those also. Put the ground beef in the fridge to thaw and went to bed.

When I woke up I realized I had to do something with these items so I looked in the canned food pantry and grabbed some creamed corn and a can of cream of celery soup. I browned the ground beef and seasoned it with some onion and garlic powder and a little pepper. I stirred in the soup, the creamed corn, half a can of water and half the bag of potatoes and warmed it through. Into an 8x8 baking dish, sprinkled it with some fresh grated cheese and popped it into a 350 degree F. oven for about 30 minutes.

It is hard to get a good photo of a hotdish. This is as good as I got. It tasted a lot like Tater Tot hotdish. We took half for dinner at work and gobbled it right up and Dude took the rest last night when he worked OT. The Tupperware came home empty. I think I would stir the cheese into the creamy mixture and then bake it for 15 minutes and then sprinkle with a little more cheese. The cheesier the better!


I will definitely make this again. Oh, and sticks and stones was for potatoes (sticks) and ground beef (stones). Sorry, it popped into my mind and I ran with it!

12 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

This reminds me of college... whatever you fot with hamburger and viola!

looks great

Alea Milham said...

I am enjoying reading about your pantry creations. Very creative and looks tasty too!

noble pig said...

That was creative! I like the cheesy idea too.

Donna-FFW said...

I love the name! It looks good too in all its cheesy gooeyness..yum, nice!

Monica H said...

Thanks for the explanation on the title. I didn't get it either :-)

This looks good to me and I agree with you about the cheesier the better!

Cynthia said...

I often find that these thrown together dishes turn out tasting unbelievably good and if you try to deliberately set out to make them, they'd never taste as good.

CAHİDE said...

Keşke sana islamı anlatabilseydim:(

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Tami, this sounds really good and looks so cheesy and creamy. Your creativeness is really coming out with your pantry challenge.

Debbie said...

Definitely looks good...I am trying to do the same with my pantry.

Pam said...

Total comfort food - it looks and sounds mighty tasty.

buffalodick said...

That's the fun of casseroles- improvising!

Bob said...

I love casseroles, er, hotdishes. ;) Looks great!