Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Meatball Melt

The wind howled all night last night. I mean, ALL NIGHT LONG. I finally heard the snowplows at about 6 A.M. right after Drama Queen woke me up to tell me they had a snow day. I pulled the covers back over my head and snuggled back down to sleep some more before getting up for work. It is beautiful outside, but because of the wind, we have a huge pile of snow, then bare grass, then some more snow, more bare grass. It looks like someone just plopped a pile here and there. On Monday night we had spaghetti and meatballs and garlic toast for dinner. I put the leftovers in the fridge to snack on for a couple days. Last night we had panini's for dinner, so I wiped the grill off but it was still sitting on the counter when I woke up today. I was reaching for my bagel to pop into the toaster, but when I opened the fridge to get my juice, I saw the meatballs that were left and the grill, so I made a meatball melt. I warmed up a few meatballs and sauce in the microwave. I sliced a 5-inch hunk of French bread off the loaf I used to make garlic toast on Monday. I sliced it in half lengthwise, pulled out a little bread in the center to make a well. I put a slice of Havarti cheese in the well, spooned on the meatballs and sauce, covered it with another piece of cheese, then pressed it in the grill for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Oh yeah, it was fantastic! Amazing how a little bread, a little sauce, a little meat and a little cheese can taste so fantastic. I think a large part was that I could ACTUALLY taste it, since I have been battling this cold for a week and a half!

The roads look pretty clear so I hope we don't have a problem getting to work tonight. Thankfully it is only about 10 miles from our house, but I hate driving in the slippery, windy weather. The team is going to love me also as I just had a re-check on my Tennis Elbow and it isn't back to where it should be so the doctor put me on restricted duty for a month. We just lost someone from our team, so we are short anyway and now I can't lift anything over ten pounds-which is everything I lift at work. Oi vay.

I leave you with Tofu. She is not the most lady-like cat. I wish I could get a picture of her sitting. Most cats (that I have seen anyway) sit with their back paws flat on the floor behind their front paws. She sits with her back paws straight out and her front paws between them. Reminds me a baby who has learned to sit-it is very humorous!

8 comments:

Bob said...

Now that's breakfast! Love it.

Heh, if I'm picturing what you're describing right then Noodles sits like that too. It's funny, the real Bob is much more lady like than she is. :D

Ali said...

Cute cat, and the sandwich? Drool.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

love the cat!

and meat for breakfast... you go girl!

vanillasugarblog said...

I really could use a meatball melt right now. It cracks me up that your cat is named Tofu--love it.

Jennifer said...

That sandwich looks amazing, I just realized you must work at night?

Lea Ann said...

That sandwich looks fabulous. Love the name Tofu. All of my animals have food names. Chili, Mango, Queso

Pam said...

The sandwich looks so tasty. Sorry about your tennis elbow - hope it's better soon. Tofu is too cute.

Monica H said...

Yummy looking sandwich.

Autumn lays that way. With her back legs stretched completely out and her paws in her face and her front paws going in the opposite direction :-)