Tuesday, August 18, 2009

C'est Magnifique



Forget that I butchered the French Language. Today I attempted a Julia Child recipe. The Dude and I went to see the movie last night and it was so good. I wasn't sure how they were going to meld the two stories together, but it worked. Now, I say I attempted a recipe. I used hers and changed it up a little, because of personal tastes, lack of an ingredient I forgot to write down, and we were so hungry we wanted to eat now. It wasn't hard, although on the website it was listed as 'Difficult', but it did take time.




JC Beef Bourguignon, my way

3 pounds of bottom sirloin, cut into 3 inch pieces
5 slices bacon, cut into 2 inches pieces
1 jumbo onion, in half and then in thick slices
3 carrots
3 cups red wine, I couldn't find Burgundy so used Pinot
3 cups beef broth
salt and pepper
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp thyme
1/4 cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper

Render bacon in Dutch oven. Remove bacon from pan. Blot beef dry and brown in bacon fat. Do in batches so as to not crowd pan. Remove last of meat to plate. Add a pat or two of butter and saute onions. Remove onions and put beef back in pan. Sprinkle with flour mixture and stir to coat. Let fry to form a slight crust. Add onions back in, then rest of ingredients. Stir to make sure meat is covered with cooking liquid. Cover pot and roast in a 350 degree F. oven for 2-1,2 hours.
The original recipe also calls for pearl onions (I forgot at store) and mushrooms (no one will eat but hubs) and to reduce the liquid (we were starving at 7:45 PM). There was a loaf of crusty bread that we ripped apart with our hands and buttered. Also, since the kids apparently need more starch, I baked some spuds instead of boiling some small potatoes (again, didn't pick any up). It was so good. Lots of slurping and Dude had seconds and now I have nothing to take to work for lunch tomorrow. Sad face.
While I don't know that I will attempt more of her recipes, it was fun to try and I was excited that it turned out so well and everyone ate it-no complaints!
Bon Appetite!

10 comments:

Bob said...

This is another recipe that's been on The List for some time. Glad to hear everyone liked it!

avesta said...

Looks like your attempt was a good one since there are no leftovers! Good job!!!!

Kathy said...

I kept thinking of this recipe the whole time I was watching the movie! Thanks for blogging it...I'm going to gather the ingredients and make it. btw...yours looks fabulous in that picture!

Shelby said...

Your way looks and sounds pretty good to me!

Spryte said...

OMG that looks frickin' amazing!!!!!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

It looks fantastic! No wonder there were no leftovers. I want to make this when the weather gets a little cooler.

Leslie said...

Amazing! I need to see that movie..maybe then I will be inspired to make something French

Donna-FFW said...

Wow this looks downright delicious to me! I absolutely love it!

noble pig said...

You did it! Good for you because it looks beautiful!

Karine said...

It looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!