Saturday, July 18, 2009

Zucchini Bars

I made these bars for the first time last year and sent them to work with the Dude. He came back with an empty pan and many compliments. This time I brought them since I now work the same shift. Came home with an empty pan and the boys must have said thank you 100 times. It warmed the cockles of my heart. They are super simple and trust me, people will thank you for them.


Zucchini Bars

2 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
3 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini, drained of water
1 small carrot, shredded
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup chopped walnuts

Frosting
1/2 cup softened butter
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 oz. cream cheese, softened

Beat sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Beat in flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder and vanilla. Beat 1-2 minutes until well mixed. Fold in zucchini, carrot, oats and nuts. Pour into a buttered jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes. Beat frosting ingredients until smooth. Spread over bars once they have cooled.




I did cheat this time however. I used canned cream cheese frosting so the bars could sit on the table instead of having to hoof it back and forth to the fridge every break. I did get compliments on the frosting, so Betty Crocker-thank you!
Off to get ready for work. Have peach cobbler in oven right now to bring to work tonight. Those boys are getting really spoiled!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Dont you just love making people happy with food??? Its the best

Bob said...

Nice, zucchini bars are a good time. You've got to be careful bringing stuff to work, I've found. The thanks soon turn to demands for more. ;)

noble pig said...

A timely post for all the zuccs getting ready to be born!