Friday, July 17, 2009

A meatloaf redeux

While shopping the other morning after work, we saw that the butcher was in at 6:30 stocking the meat case. Dude walked over to the counter and found some smoked sausage and I saw he had fresh ground chuck. Since Hermit Crab has her wisdom teeth pulled last week, she hasn't had "real" food so I thought I would make some meatloaf for her. I tweaked what I usually do tonight because I was feeling plucky. Or something.

Meatloaf Re-mix
1 pound ground beef
1 cup stuffing mix mixed with 1/2 cup beef broth, let stand 15 minutes
1 shallot, zested on microplane
2 slices Prosciutto, finely chopped up
spices of your choosing-I used a hamburger spice and a Penzey's salt blend
1/2 cup shredded cheese of your choosing

Crumble beef into a bowl. After the stuffing has rehydrated, dump on top of beef. Zest the shallot on top. Toss in Prosciutto and cheese. Work gently with your hands. Form into an oval shape and place on rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Let stand to firm.
I made this tonight (this morning) so she can have some tomorrow for lunch and we can bring some to work tomorrow. It always tastes better the next day!

4 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Sounds like a yummy meatloaf. My fav veersion is America's Test Kitchen,,, love the glaze on it. I agree its always better the next day!

Leslie said...

ohhh my word..your meatloaf is PACKED with flavor!!!!

noble pig said...

Oh wow, I love a good meatloaf...and the cheese yum. I always flavor mine with blue cheese but maybe I'll try this.

Debbie said...

Mmmmmmmmm.......