Tuesday, May 19, 2009

If you live in the Midwest....

chances are you have a recipe for Tater Tot Hotdish. I think every blue-collar family grew up having this dinner. I didn't know any white collar people growing up, so maybe they had it too. Around my neighborhood, all the dad's worked in factories, automotive industry, truck driving, etc. None of my friends (except one) had a dad that was a lawyer, doctor or an accountant. We had block parties, BBQ's, lemonade stands, played softball and swam at the 'rich kids' house. And we all ate Tater Tot hotdish. Not casserole-not in the Midwest-say hotdish with me people.

It is easy, tasty, and fast.

Tami's Tater Tot Hotdish

1 pound ground beef, browned
1 can Cream of Celery soup
1 can Niblet corn, drained
1/2 package Tater Tots

Brown the ground beef. Stir in soup, corn and half a soup can of water. Warm through.



Pour into a 9x9 pan. Top with Tater Tots.


Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes. Serve.


I sprinkled some onion powder and a Penzey's blended spice on the ground beef to give it some flavor. I drain the corn and rinse to get rid of some of the salt, since the potatoes have quite a bit of salt in them. I don't salt and pepper the meat for the same reason. Once I have it on the table, I taste and let everyone decide if they want to salt and pepper their own.

I've made Donna's Stepgrandma cake to share at work tonight. Yum!

7 comments:

Debbie said...

One of my best friends here in Nevada is from Minnesota, so I understand "hot dish" or sometimes she'll invite us over and ask us to bring a "dish to pass".
We laugh "with her" because we love her.
of course I say casserole, but I do love the regional phrases people use.
AND... in honor of my friend, our book club is going to have a "hot dish" meeting this winter.

I just might make this "hot dish". It looks great.

Wandering Coyote said...

I'd never heard of this until a blogging friend of mine from Minnesota mentioned it a while back in relation to another mid-Western blog friend put a recipe on his blog. Well, I'm not from the mid-West, so you can understand! But it looks good - and I love tater tots!

vanillasugarblog said...

that sounds good. do I have to use the cream of celery soup? that sounds gross. can I use like heavy cream and cheese instead?
I love anything with tater tots. Big old pile of comfort food

Donna-FFW said...

Oh tater tots are a favorite in this household.. This sounds wonderful! I am so glad you enjoyed the stepgrandmas cake enough to make it again!

Bob said...

Mmmm, tater tots. Looks great! I've thought of topping casser... er, hot-dish with them before, I didn't realize it was ubiquitous! My mom always used either stuffing or Bisquick for topping casseroles.

Jeff said...

I have completely forgotten about this dish. Such a classic.

Anonymous said...

YUM!! So interesting! All of the things I enjoy all mashed together! THanks for the recipe!