Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hep me hep me

Okay, I need some help everyone. I need a good dessert to take to our friends house next this coming weekend. We haven't seen our friends in almost 2 years. It sounds terrible, but as you may have read in my early posts, the hubby and I have had a VERY crappy two years. Both of us lost our jobs, have had a couple deaths in the family, had several members develop cancer and almost lost a nephew in an accident. Sooooo, some things got put on the back burner like our friends Dave and Roxanne. We recently talked and I found out that they are both losing their jobs. Roxanne and my hubby met at Northwest Airlines about 15 years ago when the Dude moved to a new department. Dude lost his job in 2005 when the mechanics went on strike. Roxanne is losing her job because Delta (who bought out North-worst) is moving her job to Atlanta. Her husband is losing his job as it is moving to CHINA. They just turned 50 and have had their jobs for 30 years. Where are they going to find jobs making what they have been making, and having about 8 weeks of vacation and competing with 25 year olds who will come in cheaper. It just sickens me.

But out of doom and gloom. We are going to their new house (bought in the summer before knowing either of them were losing their jobs) this coming weekend and I said I would bring dessert. I normally do when we get together as Rox doesn't really bake since it is only the two of them and always look forward to when I bring treats. I want to bring something special since we haven't seen them in so long. Not to go "woo hoo, look what I brought" but more "I'm so glad to see you-let's indulge in this yumminess".

Who has some ideas for me? Anyone, anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Thank you in advance- I'm off to bed now, one more night. It has to better than last night. Machines broken, hand packing totes of cereal and crabby arss dayshift people who are lazy and left all their messes behind for us to pick up. Big sigh. Tonight will HAVE to better. I should put wine in the fridge now so in case I need some tomorrow morning at 7!

9 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

I highly recommend that cinnamon expresso cake (on my blog). Everyone loved it, and it was easy to just about everyone's palate.

Lawsy Mercy said...

Dawn's cake sounds good. I was going to recommend a Red Velvet Cake. The coffee cake might be better as y'all can have it that night with coffee after dinner and then they can have a piece of breakfast the next morning. Or at least that is what I would do. LOL!

Unknown said...

My favorite desert to take is this one.
Cherry Glazed Chocolate Torte
It is elegant and delicious!

http://www.recipecenter.com/Recipe.aspx?Code=1507023

Donna-FFW said...

How about a 4 layer cake , starts with a cake mix, and has sprinkles, nuts, and chocoalte chips inside, with a chocolate mousee like frosting. Its called Stepgrandmas cake and its on my blog. Look at the sidebar if you are interested. Its so good and esy to make!

Spryte said...

I highly recommend Donna's Toasted Pecan Baby Cakes! They are so easy and soooo tasty!!!

http://mytastytreasures.blogspot.com/2009/02/toasted-pecan-baby-cakes.html

Heather said...

one of my favorite things to do is make some homemade graham crackers and marshmallows. i flavor the marshmallows with whatever - peppermint, berry, chocolate, and then pick up some hersheys bars on the way. s'mores are easy, nostalgic and interactive.

for more traditional, my favorite indulgence is cheesecake. or chocolate fondue.

Anonymous said...

When faced with so many choices, I never know what to bring...so I end up making so many things with a sampler platter! Yeah a sampler platter...that's what you need.

Bob said...

You can never go wrong with brownies and they travel well. Hope things get better for you and your friends!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I vote for Dawn's Cinnamon cake too!

I am so sorry to hear about your firends. My heart goes out to them.