Friday, January 30, 2009

Tangy Deviled Eggs

I love deviled eggs. I was (ahem, still am) a picky eater as a child, but I loved deviled eggs. I love my eggs tangy. I experimented until I found the right combination. Do you ever go somewhere and get SO excited because one of your favorites in on the buffet table. With anticipation you take a bite and wait for the flavors to hit the tongue-and........nothing. Flat, dull, boring. What do you do? Spit it out? Swallow and pray you get it all the way down without gagging? Swill that glass of wine to drown the taste out? We had gone to a function (I won't mention details in case that person would read this-probably not, but covering my arss), and we had a huge spread. I spied those eggs and immediately popped one in my mouth. Holy squishy, disgusting moly. This person was a trained chef. Those were the worst eggs ever. It sounds terrible, but if we go anywhere that there are deviled eggs out, I won't try them anymore. Got my heart broke. I usually bring the eggs now.

Tangy Deviled Eggs

10 eggs, closer to expiration date (they are easier to peel)
mayonnaise
Dijon mustard
yellow mustard
vinegar
sweet paprika



Place eggs in a pot large enough to have eggs lay in a single layer. Cover with cold water until eggs are just covered. Place over high heat until water comes to a boil. When water starts a rapid boil, shut off heat and cover pan with lid.


Set timer for 15 minutes. When time is up, drain eggs carefully so as not to burn yourself with steam. Cover with cold water and let sit a minute. Drain and repeat. Shake pan so eggs rattle in pan into each other and sides to gently crack each egg. Cover with cold water again and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes. I usually add a few ice cubes to make sure the water is cold. After letting eggs cool, peel eggs.

Slice eggs in half horizontally. Scoop cooked egg yolk into bowl and place egg halves on plate or deviled egg holder. This one has two yolks-I've never seen that before!


Mash yolks with potato masher.


The rest of the ingredients I kind of wing, but this is what I start with:


1/2 cup mayo
2 TBSP Dijon mustard
2 TBSP yellow mustard
2 TBSP vinegar *you might want to start with 1 as I like mine tangy


Beat this together and taste. You may need to add more mayo, a spoonful at a time. Or you might want it a little more yellow, so add another squirt of mustard. After getting the taste you want, spoon mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a larger tip. If you don't have a pastry bag, scoop into a quart size plastic food storage bag and snip off the corner. Squeeze egg mixture into each egg. Sprinkle with the sweet paprika.


Thank the chickens for the gift of eggs

9 comments:

test it comm said...

Nice looking deviled eggs! I've never had a double yolk before either.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Oh how I love deviled eggs. I haven't put dijon in them before but will start now.

Spryte said...

Now I want to add Deviled Eggs to my Super Bowl menu... but I think all my eggs are too fresh! Go Steelers!!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't had deviled eggs in years! I have a huge craving for them now :) These look wonderful!

Donna-FFW said...

Love deviled eggs. Perfect recipe in time for superbowl. I love all things bananas too!!

Anonymous said...

I love the eggs tangy too, and I like wing sauce poured over mine.

Heather said...

TWO KINDS OF MUSTARD?!?! you're blowing my mind!! these sound delicious. i love deviled eggs. sigh.

Meg said...

Oh man...I sure wish I wasn't allergic to eggs. These look so good!

Leslie said...

A double yolk? That must mean something! Maybe you should play the lotto!.
To answer your question on my site...I baked mini banana breads 84 of them..100 cookies(that I can only cook 7 at a time. And 99 red velvet cupcakes! Ohhhh..I am soooooo over baking! I dont ever want to look at another baked good!!!