Monday, January 12, 2009

Might that be a Meatloaf?

Today I am posting my meatloaf. I had a hard time with meatloaf when we first got married as I grew up on the kind that had the ketchup over the top. Mom made good meatloaf. The hubby on the other hand was not a fan of the 'frosting'. I tried and tried recipes to make us both happy. This one is very loosely based on one I read in the Kraft magazine that comes out every couple of months. About the only thing I used from that recipe is the 'bread' portion as a binder. Today I made it a little different than normal. I usually use a mixture of beef and pork, today I used beef and turkey. They had a coupon sale at the store so for 68 cents, so I thought I would try that instead of the standard. I also use a cookie sheet instead of a loaf pan as I like it to get nice and brown around all the sides.






Meatloaf




1 pound ground chuck

1 pound ground turkey (or seasoned pork, like I normally use)

1 cup boxed stuffing mix for chicken

1 egg

chicken stock

ketchup

garlic salt and shallot salt (the kids don't like pieces of onion and garlic, but like the flavor)




Preheat oven to 350. Place one cup of stuffing mix in a bowl. Pour about 1/4 cup chicken broth over it and stir. You need it to have enough liquid so it soaks up into the stuffing and it becomes soft. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. While this is sitting, place beef and turkey into a large bowl. Sprinkle with the garlic and shallot salt, or use the actual whole form ingredients. I would say one clove and one small onion, finely chopped. After the stuffing has soaked up the liquid, top the meat mixture with the stuffing. Mix with your hands-the best tools you have in your kitchen.



Squeeze together just a little, as you need to mix in rest of ingredients. You just need to distribute the stuffing mix through the meat. In a bowl, beat egg. Stir in Worcestershire sauce. I use about 1 TBSP, but I know some people don't like it. You can leave it out, but I think it adds good flavor. Also stir in about 3 TBSP ketchup. After mixing this together, stir into the meat/stuffing mixture. Use your CLEAN hands again to mix. Be careful not to over mix or the meatloaf will be tough. Pour out mixture onto a cookie sheet. Using hands, shape into a loaf shape.





Place in oven and bake for 45 to 55 minutes. Let rest after cooking before cutting. It will help the loaf keep it's shape and also the juices stay in. I will usually just turn off the oven after about 45 minutes and leave in the oven while I prepare the rest of the meal. I liked the way this one turned out. I was worried about the turkey drying out too much, but it was really good. Nice and tender and not dry at all. The herbs in the stuffing mix add a wonderful flavor to the loaf and it looks pretty with herbs studding the loaf. That didn't reproduce well in the photo.


It makes a large loaf so enough for leftovers the next day or two. The weather here in Minnesota is going to get very bitterly cold this week, so some nice warm meat will taste great. Is spring here yet?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love a good meatloaf! This looks wonderfully, delcious!